The current hullabaloo about the Confederate flag has spurred a lot of letters to the editor of the Denver Post in recent weeks. I have ignored most of them but one was so ignorant and so arrogant that I am forced to comment on it here today. John Wilkens, of Boulder, wrote, "Those who support flying the Confederate battle flag on state buildings and property claim that removing it insults Southern heritage....Ignoring the obvious insult to the descendants of slaves, how is publicly flying a symbol of an armed insurrection not an insult to the memories of those troops who sacrificed their lives to preserve federalism, maintain the unity of the nation, and liberate an enslaved race?...Southern heritage is a spurious argument for the continued visual insult and official sanctioning of a vanquished and disgraced belief system finding sanctuary in racist hearts and minds."
Let me make one thing clear up front. Slavery is sin. In particular, slavery is the sin of kidnapping. Since I am a theonomist (you should be one too), I know that God's opinion about slavery/kidnapping is that it is a capital offense. In other words, any human being who enslaves another human being should be executed for his crime. I think that makes me far more anti-slavery than bleeding hearts like John Wilkens, who no doubt would reject God's opinion on the matter and excuse slave holders because they must have been suffering from some sort of mental illness. So everything that I write in this post is not being motivated by my well known penchant for hate-filled racist comments. Anyone who believes I am condoning or endorsing slavery is incapable of following a rational argument. Enough said.
The war of northern aggression was not about slavery. The war of northern aggression was not about liberating an enslaved race, as John dutifully mimics his government school indoctrination. Do you know what Abraham Lincoln thought about the black race in general and black people in particular? Let me quote just a few of the things Lincoln had to say about blacks:
- "There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races ... A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas." (when discussion the western expansion of slavery)
- "In the language of Mr. Jefferson, uttered many years ago, "It is still in our power to direct the process of emancipation, and deportation, peaceably, and in such slow degrees, as that the evil will wear off insensibly; and in their places be, pari passu [on an equal basis], filled up by free white laborers." (when discussing his desire to ship all blacks back to Africa)
- "I have no purpose directly or indirectly to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." (on his alleged desire to outlaw southern slavery)
- "I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position."
- "Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man."
John's comments about the south staging an "armed insurrection" and the necessity of the northern armies to "maintain the unity of the nation" show just how well indoctrinated he is in Civil War propaganda. Maybe John has never read the Constitution of the United States of America. It rather specifically states that the association of the original 13 states was voluntary in nature. When the question was raised at the constitutional convention about states being able to enforce the voluntary association of the member states if one or more wanted to seceded from the agreement in the future, all resolutions allowing the use of coercion were soundly defeated. Speeches were delivered in which the principle of free association between the states was declared supreme. It was understood by every signatory to the Constitution that it was a voluntary agreement and any state could secede from the association at any time and for any reason. The fact that all powers not specifically delegated to the federal government were retained by the states was added to the Bill of Rights to guarantee that coercion would never be used against any member of the union. When the southern states seceded from the Union they were well within their right to do so. When the Union declared war on the southern states for seceding from the Union the Constitution was destroyed and the War of Northern Aggression began.
620,000 people died in the War of Northern Aggression. That represented 2% of the entire population at the time. For every three men killed in battle five more died as a result of sickness or injuries sustained during their time of service. That is the legacy of Lincoln. As such he is a perfect representative of the hegemonic desires of all career politicians brought to fruition in military conflict. Like King George Bush who would follow him later, Lincoln was "war president" and proud of it. He set the stage for those who would follow in his footsteps and expanded federal power while simultaneously abolishing the Constitution. Thanks to him the citizens of what used to be called the United States of America were trained to see the federal government as a god. Thanks to him the Socialist Democracy of Amerika came into existence and, also thanks to him, practically every citizen in this idolatrous land worships the government as a god. Lincoln is praised as a hero in all programs of government school indoctrination. Why? Because the northern states won the war. They succeeded in subjugating the southern states. That has to be a good thing, doesn't it? After all, those southerners were evil and got precisely what they deserved because they supported slavery.